At Holy Trinity College we encourage an exploratory and inquisitive approach to the subject of Total Beauty. We have a vibrant, department and offer courses to students in KS4 and KS5.
Occupational Studies: Total Beauty Business and Services
Manicure and Nail art
Awarding body: CCEA Level: Level 2 Single Award Occupational Studies
Equivalent to GCSE A*- G
Aim and Purpose
This qualification is designed to provide specialist work–related training in a range of sectors. It gives pupils the knowledge, understanding and skills that they need to prepare for employment in the beauty industry.
Unit 8: Manicure and Nail Art
This unit is designed to give the learner an understanding of manicure treatments and nail art techniques. Learners will carry out consultations with clients and provide appropriate manicure and nail art treatments, identify and follow health and safety procedures and environmental issues relating to the use and disposal of products. Learners will have the opportunity to review and evaluate their own performance and research and develop their knowledge of different career opportunities available within the Beauty Industry.
Unit 6: Facial Skin Care
This unit is designed to develop learners’ knowledge and practical skills in facial skincare. Learners will carry out consultations with clients and agree a treatment plan to meet the clients’ requirements. This unit includes:
• consideration of health and safety procedures in the beauty salon;
• analysis of skin types and conditions;
• carrying out client consultations to identify appropriate treatment plans;
• application of facial skincare products in a safe and professional manner;
• giving aftercare advice to clients and obtaining client feedback;
• consideration of recycling, minimising waste and the use of environmentally friendly products;
• consideration of career opportunities in beauty therapy;
• a review and evaluation of performance.
This course is portfolio based and portfolio will include the following information:
· A weekly diary entry recording of the students’ learning each week
· Photographic Evidence of practical assessments
· Written evidence to support the students’ knowledge and understanding in A01, A02 and A03
· Written Evaluations on each practical assessment
Within each unit there are two assessments:
Unit 8 Manicure and Nail Art
Assessment 1 should demonstrate: Manicure skills
Assessment 2: should demonstrate: Nail enamelling skills and Nail Art design
Unit 6: Facial Skin Care
Assessment 1: should demonstrate: Facial treatment on a client with sensitive
/normal skin type
Assessment 2: should demonstrate: Facial treatment on a client with a dry or
combination skin type
On successful completion of the course pupils can progress to employment within the Beauty Industry or continue with their studies at Post - 16 level. Learning within Total Beauty can provide students with the skills and knowledge to continue within any of the following professions: Beauty Therapist, Nail Technician, Professional Make Up Artist, Lash Technician, Brow Specialist, Manicurist, Pedicurist and there is much more.
VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Make-up Techniques
Within the Beauty Department we offer the VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Make-up Techniques to KS5 students. It is a technical level qualification aimed at learners who are in a full-time Level 3 education programme. This qualification is based on the national
occupational standards for a variety of make-up application techniques and includes all the required elements to work effectively as a make-up artist.
What does this qualification cover?
This qualification is designed to provide the learner with the widest range of make-up application processes currently available at level 3. Learners will develop their knowledge and understanding of relevant anatomy and physiology and health and safety. They will also develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to consult with clients, successfully promote and retail products, provide a range of make-up services, as well as gain a deeper understanding of the science of cosmetic application products. In parallel, learners will develop their communication and customer service skills, their awareness of environmental sustainability.
Learners must achieve all mandatory units which include:
- Health and safety in the salon
- Client care and consultation
- Photographic make-up
- Anatomy and physiology for make-up services
- Bridal make-up
- Airbrush make-up
- Individual eyelash extensions- False eyelash application
- Cosmetic make-up science
- Promote and sell products and services
In addition to completing mandatory units, learners are required to complete three optional units. A variety of optional units are available which include (this list is not exhaustive):
• deliver a makeup demonstration
• hair-up styles for special occasions
• Asian bridal make-up
• spray tanning/manual tan application
• gel polish for nail designs and nail art application
• how to set up a new business
• managing a commercial column and social media marketing.
What could this qualification lead to?
This qualification will prepare students for employment as a make-up artist. Students will be eligible to join a professional association and gain insurance as a make-up artist.
Career opportunities as a make-up artist exist in a variety of contexts, including:
• Hair and make-up studio
• Beauty salon
• Media Production companies
• Theatre companies
• Advanced Make-Up
• Artist working from home & mobile
• Bridal Make-Up Artist ( bridal party, engagement & special occasions)
• Airbrush Make-Up Artist
• Professional Make-Up Artist in Film, TV, Theatre, Editorial & Fashion